Search This Blog

Friday, November 25, 2011

My Top 5 Gaming Wishes

Well, Thanksgiving has come and gone. Now that I'm back from my not-actually-that-long haitus from Turkeyland, I feel like prepping for the next holiday season. These five items are things I personally would love to see in the near future (not in any particular order). So, here you go.

5- Final Fantasy Versus XIII gets a 2012 Release Date.
A guy can dream, right? Seriously, though, this one has gone on long enough. Square has been teasing this game ever since Final Fantasy XIII was announced, and seeing as they've been saying they want to cut development times down, I'm hoping we can see their six-years-in-the-making action RPG sooner rather than later.

4- Kingdom Hearts 3 gets announced for current-gen consoles- specifically, PS3.
This is another one that may exist only in the realm of wishful thinking, but it's still a strong desire of mine. The Kingdom Hearts series has mostly been releasing spinoffs (Birth by Sleep being the closest thing to a 'main' title we've seen in years), and many fans are pining for a true current-gen Kingdom Hearts game for Playstation 3. The labyrinthine narrative of Kingdom Hearts needs to find some closure, but more than anything else, I want this game to be out before Square can be tempted to new hardware.

3- JRPG comeback
The classic role-playing games of yesteryear have been overshadowed of late by their Western counterparts, which is a shame, but not entirely unfounded. That's not to say we haven't gotten great JRPGs over the years, but few of them were truly innovative. I was disapointed with the gaming community's reaction to the delightfully experimental Final Fantasy XIII, but  I do feel that a truly great JRPG, one that will revitalize the genre, is just around the corner. As excited as I am for Level 5 and Studio Ghibli's excellent looking Ni no Kuni, which may be the best JRPG in years, I don't think it's the type of game to hit the innovative sweet spot the genre needs right now. We'll have to wait and see.

2- Operation Rainfall Is Successful.
If you don't yet know what Operation Rainfall is, look it up and support them. They are a grassroots movement petitioning Nintendo to localize three excellent looking JRPGs for Wii- The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Pandora's Tower. Remember how I was looking for a great and innovative game that could revitalize the genre? Xenoblade could very well be that game, as could The Last Story (itself made by famed Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi). The fact that these games weren't instant candidates for localization is just sad.

1- Mistwalker makes a PS3 title.
Mistwalker studios is the company helmed by Hironobu Sakaguchi, and has made excellent RPGs such as Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and The Last Story. Sakaguchi apparently has a grudge against Sony (he's mentioned this before), and all of his big titles have been on 360 (which shot him in the foot with regards to sales) or Wii. While I've been hoping for years to see PS3 versions of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (ESPECIALLY Lost Odyssey), I'd settle for an original game from them. Think you and Sony can put your differences aside, Hironobu? For me? Please?

Well, that's that. What are your gaming wishes?

4 comments:

  1. I just wish I could get another console. All the good games are on DS, and all I have is an advance SP. However, it certainly does help that I'm getting into more oldschool RPG's on the Advance. You don't see them making DS cards for FFVI, and certainly not V.
    ....Ni No Kuni would be nice too, but I have someone's house to go to if I wanna play that. (Which I do)

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's a few I have for the wRPG microgenre

    1. branch out
    there's alot more than just D&D to base your game around these days, folks. and if you're THAT dependent on keeping aspects of good ol' d20, then use one of the myriad of games that improves on it, such as True20, Fantasycraft/Spycraft, SW Saga Edition (KotOR devs take note).

    2. setting variety
    One of the things that really stood out for me with both Final Fantasy X and later Jade Empire (one of my favorite Bioware games), was the fact that they chose NOT to take the two most common themes for their settings; generic european fantasy and space opera. Granted, by no means am I saying that we need more asian-themed games, but stepping out of the typical trappings of generic fantasy would be nice. Why not urban fantasy, or a setting based loosely on the arabian nights? just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mildra Yeah, I'd love to see more unusual settings in RPGs. My call for a cyberpunk FF still stands. xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see your cyberpunk FF and raise you one Transhumanist FF.

    ReplyDelete