Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Call of Duty Article

I found a very interesting post concerning the Call of Duty series on Kotaku, whoch I thought I'd share. Here it is: http://kotaku.com/5858098/why-its-stupid-to-hate-call-of-duty

I generally agree with the article. While I don't like the Call of Duty series, and I find that a lot of people I find distasteful are also fans of the series, there is absolutely nothing wrong with liking them if that's your thing. I think it's somewhat of a lazy series- I say the same about anything that releases a new game yearly, but that's not a legitimate reason to hate Call of Duty.

Still, I don't think it's proper to say that anyone who hates on CoD is just being a bigot. The reason I don't play them is because I think they don't provide me with any lasting value on a storytelling front. Let's face it- by and large, the Call of Duty games are empty experiences. They have some cool setpiece moments and whatnot, but they really don't provide anything of substance in their stories. Some will say that this is because the series is focused on multiplayer, but I find this to be an even worse trait of the series- why pay $60 yearly just for the same multiplayer game?

Perhaps if CoD attempted to be something other than a 12-year-old's masturbatory war fantasy, and perhaps tackled some of the more disturbing or deep aspects of war, then I would give it a pass. As it stands, to me it pales in comparison to some of the great FPS games out there, and is simply an overrated and overpriced series of trite shoot-em-ups, and while it's fine if that's all you're looking for, the continued popularity of Call of Duty may mean we won't get anything better for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment